Friday, February 4, 2011

blueberries, baking soda and blizzards

This winter has been full of fun in the fluff. Fluffy snow that is! We've been having our fun inside and outdoors.


I decided to combat the chilly blues with scrumptious blueberry scones. Blueberry scones with a zesty lemon glaze- a personal favorite of mine. I chose to go with Tyler Florence's recipe. I didn't follow the glaze recipe exactly. I used a fraction of the lemon juice (a couple tablespoons) and added in some milk.Sadly enough I didn't have any zest, which is my favorite part, well, besides the blueberries.
These were delicious but did need the extra lemon and zest. I baked for the minimum amount of time and the were soft and fluffy. Some may like their scones a lot more dense and dry, but these were good. Joined with my organic coffee and I would choose mine over an expensive one through a drive through any day!

A short while back we had some friends over for the weekend. When we have a large group I have a few go-to recipes that will feed a crowd (I'm slowly learning how to cook for larger groups). Chili is a favorite of our family and is so easy when feeding a big group. I love to use my crock pots for making chili. I start out the morning of or the night before cooking my beans. I like to mix half black and half red kidney beans. My favorite way to cook them is in ONLY water (no salt until the VERY end) and on low, for 6-8 hours. I then season them up in the last 30 min-hour (onion, red peppers, garlic and salt). Then I drain and add all my chili favorites. My biggest suggestion for chili is cilantro. It is so flavorful, fresh and good for you! Can't get enough myself. However, this can lead to a dirty/stained crock pot! I had given up on my beautiful crock pot bowls after all my bean and chili cooking. But my friend was helping me clean up and she didn't think all hope was lost. She sprinkled the bowl with some baking soda then took a warm wet rag and it wiped right off!!!
This pan had been slightly stained for ...years...
Who knew that baking soda was the silent stain assassin. I sure didn't! And how cheap it is! She had found that it was wonderful after horribly scorching a pan. She just warmed water and baking soda in her pan and a couple times through and it looks like new.I know that from now on I will stay stocked up on baking soda!
*Not only for the kitchen but a nice, gentle cleaner for the tub, sinks, toilets....



The blizzard that hit most of the US did not miss us. So I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post a picture of the "storm of the century." There was still a few hours left of the storm when I took this cold photo. We faired well and had no need to get out and about nor anyone needing to get home. We enjoyed the excitement of God's power shown through nature from the warmth of our sweet home. We are thankful for our safety and comfort. I hope that if any of you were affectedvthat you faired well too.

3 comments:

  1. Your blueberry scone looks so good!! Good tip on the baking soda as well. My crock-pot has become stained due to all the soups & stews I make in it. I'm definitely going to try the baking soda to see if it will help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! I just cleaned my sink with baking this morning. Amazing. Good luck on your pot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blueberry scone looks so good!! I want to make it right now... for lunch. :D And chili is one of my cold weather favorites. I always make sweet cornbread to go with it: a Jiffy box of corn bread mix and 1/2 a box of yellow cake mix.
    And I clean with baking soda all the time too. I use a special pet baking soda on my carpet before I vacuum so my house smells all fresh.

    ReplyDelete