Thursday, September 8, 2011

Going bananas for apples

I realize I haven't blogged in forever. Summer found mejuggling outside time with my children and trying to keep the house together inside- amongst all the other crazy smmer activities. Now fall is so close you can smell it! Especially since the intense heat wave hs finaly been broken! Praise the Lord for the seasons!
*Now that I'm ready to get back in the swing of things...I can't find the charger for my camera...so these are raw, unedited pictures from my camera*

So once again I foraged the local abandoned outlet mal for apples. This year instead of just swiping them, I called and got permission. The guy said to 'knock myself out' and so I did. With the help of my sister I think we gathered close to 50 lbs all together and I'm going to make another run before the season is over.

So that night I whipped up an apple pie- delicious. (Picture to come later)
The recipe: is here. I did add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla. I used Alton Brown's pie crust recipe. So good. My husband doesn't really like apple pie but he loved this. Enough said.
The next day I filled a  6 quart crockpot with sliced (not peeled) apples. A good bit of cinnamon and some lemon juice and a banana to help with the tartness (though I think it would have been better without). Let it go till it was real soft, about 4 hrs on low. Then I did a quick run through it with my immersion blender. Done! Applesauce!














Then today I filled a 4 quart (3-4 lbs) with sliced apples- not peeled. I used 1/4 t ground cloves, 2t cinnamon, dash of salt, 1T red hot candies, juice of one half of a large lemon, 1/4 c of water, 1/2 c brown sugar, 3/4 c white sugar. I set the crock pot on low and let it go. I stirred it maybe once an hour. Then when nice and mushy I put it in the blender and pureed it. Voila! Who knew something so delish could be so easy?!
Dive into the fall the right way: with a piece of homemade bread smothered in homemade apple butter!




No comments:

Post a Comment